There are myths floating around out there about what happens when you use a travel agent. We’re going to separate the fact from the fiction here by providing you with the basic facts about travel agents. Below are the pros and the cons as well as some tips that we believe you’ll find useful.
Why should I use a travel agent?
When someone mentions using a travel agent during a conversation, the range of responses varies. While statements like ‘I love my agent, I always get the best deal’ are often heard, so too are the mythical statements made by people who typically book direct. Some folks are under the incorrect impression that a travel agent will cost them more money than if they had booked themselves. This is not true. A travel agent can save you money!
Let’s start with how travel agents are paid. Travel agents are paid a commission from the carrier based upon the advertised fare you pay. That’s it. Now it may be true that some agents charge you hidden fees, but not all do. We certainly don’t! And buying through a franchise owner like Cruise Planners, ensures that your transaction is directly with your carrier. That is to say, the agency should never show up on your credit card bill, only the carriers (cruise line for example) should. Call is and we will be glad to plan your vacation! 855-4CRUISING
Travel Agent Tips
Just the Facts:
- Can get you the best price and find deals you don’t know about.
- Able to monitor your fare and notify you if your fare drops so you get a better deal.
- May have access to other perks like onboard credits and such that you won’t get booking directly.
- Is there to advise you and answer questions throughout the process and during your vacation if need be.
- Will go to bat for you if there is a problem so you don’t have to spend your time on an issue. You can just enjoy your vacation.
- Will develop a relationship over time for the future.
- Saves you time when booking, and eliminates the headaches.
- Makes sure all of your plans are just they way you want them to be.
- Make sure you have an agent who doesn’t bill you through their agency! Ask them.
- Make sure you don’t get an agent who adds hidden fees!
- Make sure you get an invoice from your carrier! Transparency is important!
- Never buy the carrier’s travel insurance. It’s geared towards the carrier.
- Always buy independent travel insurance from a reputable third party company. But always get it, it can save you thousands of dollars.